Every year, all units (packs, troops, teams, crews, posts) are required to renew their affiliation with Scouting. Re-chartering is the process of renewing the charter agreement between the BSA and the organization, and renewing the registration of youth and adult members.
Rechartering on time is critical. It is required for Journey to Excellence. It is required for units to continue registration without interruption. It is required to ensure Scouts are registered, critical for receiving rank advancement and other awards, and for insurance coverage.
A representative of each unit completes the paperwork for renewing a charter online. Through the process, chartered (sponsoring) organizations, youth member and adult leader information is updated as well as registration fees and Boys' Life subscriptions are collected/paid.
If this is your first time to be involved with recharter, or if you need to update yourself with the procedures, resources are included below to get you started. And, of course, you can always contact your district executive, unit commissioner or district commissioner.
- BSA's Internet Rechartering Website (Packs, Troops, Crews)
Unit Recharter Instructions/Checklist
The use of Internet Rechartering is required. Access through this link. Internet Rechartering checks the information you provide and prevents many common rechartering errors such as missing required information and missing required adult leaders. It also warns you about adult leaders who do not have the required Youth Protection Training on file with BSA.
The access code required to use internet recharter was provided to each unit at the District's Program Kick-Off Meeting. An email is also being sent to each unit leader in early November that if replied to, the access code will once again be provided along with an update on how the unit is doing on advancements and service hours. The access code changes every year - do not use last year’s code because it will attempt (and fail) to access last year’s information. Remember: You are a "first-time user" when you begin your first session for each unit every year! If you misplace your access code, contact your District Executive.
After you submit your revised roster with Internet Rechartering, perform the following steps to complete your unit’s recharter:
1. Print Roster. Print the PDF file that Internet Rechartering (IR) downloads to the computer you are using. This PDF file contains the revised roster that you have created with IR.
2. Corrections to Roster. After you complete Internet Rechartering, if you discover errors in the recharter printout, you must manually correct the printout and recalculate the BSA National Charter Fee on the signature page of the printout. Corrections to existing information must be made by drawing a fine-point straight line through information to be changed. The old information still must be readable so that it can be found and changed. Print new information as neatly as possible above the lined-out information.
3. Applications for New Members. If you added new youth or adult members to your unit, the IR roster printout will be preceded by a list of new youth members, if any, and a list of new adult members, if any.
a. For each new youth member in the list:
i. Include a completely filled out youth application
ii. Be sure the application is signed by the unit leader (CM, SM, etc.), the parent, and, for a Venturer, the youth.
b. For each new adult member in the list, each new Venturing Participant in the list, and each existing Venturer updated to a "Venturing Participant" in Internet Rechartering:
i. Include a completely filled out adult application, including the references and answers to the questions.
ii. Include a completely filled out criminal background authorization form, signed by the member.
iii. Be sure the application is signed by the chartered organization head and the member. Your district executive will sign the form after you turn in your recharter.
iv. Attach proof of Youth Protection Training.
4. Calculate Total Amount Payable with Recharter. Calculate the total amount as follows:
BSA Unit Liability Insurance Fee . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $40.00
Number of paid Youth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _____ x $24.00/ year = $_________
number of Paid Adults . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ______ x $24.00/year = $_________
Number of Boy Life subscriptions . . . . . . . . . . ______ x $12.00/year = $_________
Accident Insurance $1.25 per paid adult/youth member _____ x 1.25 = $_________
New applications to be registered for month of December @ $2/month/member _____ x $2.00 = $_________
TOTAL DUE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$_________
Note: We strongly recommend that you do not fill in the check amount until all calculations have been checked at your designated turn-in location.
5. Obtain the two required signatures on the recharter printout:
- Executive officer (i.e, institution head)
- Unit leader (i.e., Cubmaster, Scoutmaster)
- The third signature (Council Representative), can be obtained by the district executive at turn-in.
6. Bring the following documents with you to recharter turn-in:
- All pages printed out by Internet Recharter with signatures on the first page of the roster
- Completed adult and/or youth application, including all required signatures, for each new member added to roster
- Any Youth Protection Training Certificates for members requiring YPT. Remember, if you have several members of your unit requiring YPT, showing the YPT video as a group may be a great solution to get everyone up-to-date. Just be sure to turn in a report for everyone that was trained.
- Annual Charter Agreement
- Journey to Excellence Scorecard
- Blank check (we can not accept credit/debit cards for rechartering)